- 1). Find job openings. The first step in applying for jobs is finding the most suitable positions. General job search engines (see Resources) such as Monster and CareerBuilder are a place applicants can start. Also, check out professional associations. For example, an individual interested in an accounting position might contact the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Nursing professionals might check out the American Nurses Association to find positions.
- 2). Review the position description carefully. A position description contains clues about what the employer is seeking. Read the position description and make a list of specific skills and experiences the employer is seeking (and that you have). This information will allow you to customize your resume better.
- 3). Refresh your resume and cover letter. A resume should be tailored to a specific job, recommends Purdue University. Avoid sending the same exact resume to every job posting. Instead, use the information in the position description to revise your existing resume and cover letter. For example, if the position requires special event planning experience, highlight specific experiences where you planned events.
- 4). Apply to the job posting. Most employers provide online applications. Complete the employer's application on line and attach the resume and cover letter in electronic format. Also, send a hard copy of your application materials to the hiring manager. This allows the hiring manager double exposure to your materials.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Air Filters For Automobiles - What Kinds Of Air Filters For Vehicles Are There?
- Get Space With The Help Of Free Classified Ads To Be In The Corporate Race
- Affiliate Marketing Training for Internet Marketing Success
- Branding your Business with Corporate Holiday Gifts
- Coshh 2002 Rpe Face Fit Testing
- Stay-at-Home Dads - Work From Home and Start a New Virtual Cell Phone Franchise
- Lead Generation Tools for a Small Business
- Methods To Construct A Wonderful Remote Control Helicopter
- Two Sales and Marketing Techniques for Your Soap Business
- Gerrymandering The Google Search Results
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Business & Finance" Categories
Stay With Us