- 1). Find job openings. The first step in applying for jobs is finding the most suitable positions. General job search engines (see Resources) such as Monster and CareerBuilder are a place applicants can start. Also, check out professional associations. For example, an individual interested in an accounting position might contact the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Nursing professionals might check out the American Nurses Association to find positions.
- 2). Review the position description carefully. A position description contains clues about what the employer is seeking. Read the position description and make a list of specific skills and experiences the employer is seeking (and that you have). This information will allow you to customize your resume better.
- 3). Refresh your resume and cover letter. A resume should be tailored to a specific job, recommends Purdue University. Avoid sending the same exact resume to every job posting. Instead, use the information in the position description to revise your existing resume and cover letter. For example, if the position requires special event planning experience, highlight specific experiences where you planned events.
- 4). Apply to the job posting. Most employers provide online applications. Complete the employer's application on line and attach the resume and cover letter in electronic format. Also, send a hard copy of your application materials to the hiring manager. This allows the hiring manager double exposure to your materials.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- CAD Drafting and New Technology Designed
- Newest Wedding Ring Styles
- Christmas Gift Ideas for Kids: Getting It Right
- Make your money last in retirement
- Earning Money By Reading Short Sales Articles
- What Can Make a Marketing Campaign Go Viral? Part 2
- Trading Made Easy With Blackdog Forex
- Bank Of America Credit Cards - Worth Applying For?
- Awesome Bitdefender Promotion Instant Goods Of Most Straightforward Antivirus Marketing Within Just
- Need of Outsourced Accounting Services in Australia for Any Business
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Business & Finance" Categories
Stay With Us